Thursday, September 18, 2008

back in the saddle

I am sitting at the reception desk right now because one of the receptionists called out for the second day in a row and the other guy, who's supposed to come in at 9am, just doesn't answer his cell phone when people call him to come in early. Now, I understand not wanting to come in but he knows that there isn't anyone else to cover and that one of the admins (me) is going to have to sit up here and not do their actual work for an hour. And somehow, he doesn't feel badly about this at all. I have a feeling that both of these receptionists are not long for this office. I have nothing with which to back that up, it's just a feeling.

Also, why didn't anyone tell me that literally every store I shop in is on 34th Street between 5th and Broadway? I decided this morning that I am going to take the N to work instead of the 4, because in only a week and a half, I genuinely loathe Grand Central Station, or at least the platform in GCS on which I catch the 4, because it literally has the most people I've ever seen packed into the smallest space. I'm pretty sure I was anally raped on the 4 yesterday from Union Square to Grand Central but I don't exactly have the proof. The N is farther away from my office but at least I have more than a centimeter to myself and I find I enjoy that space in the mornings. Time will tell if I'm still game for the walk when it's below zero in about three months but I have a feeling I'll take being cold for 10 minutes over the prospect of another subway rape. That's just me, though.

Okay, it's 8:57, and I'm starving and have done none of my work yet. Where the hell is this guy? I am firing him myself.

...ha. He just came in and I had to quickly save this before he read it. That was awkward. Oh, well. Not like he couldn't find it if he really wanted. Okay, now to begin the actual day's work. And eat an egg sandwich.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

See, this is what's awesome about you: one very rarely gets a good rape joke out of a woman (One very rarely gets a "good" rape joke in general, but still) but there you go defying expectations.

As for the 4 train, as I said the other night, it's the most crowded subway line in the world. Or at least in America. I'm sure Japanese subways are more packed. Again, try the 6; it takes a little extra time but it's significantly less crowded.

Pete said...

Yeah, I almost fell over when I read the rape comment. And you would think I would be desensitized to your guy-like wit by now, but, it gets me every time.